Monday, October 7, 2013

Escap games


    Gamification is the use of game thinking and game mechanics to engage users in solving problems. Gamification is used in applications and processes to improve user engagement, return on investment, data quality, timeliness, and learning.
     Nowadays, many researchers have found that game player's regularly exhibit persistence, risk-taking, attention to detail and problem solving skills, all behaviors that ideally would be regularly demonstrated in school. They also believed that game environments enable players to build understanding actively and at paces. Moreover, well-designed games let players to advance on various ways at various rates in response to each player's interests and abilities and foster collaboration and just-in-time learning. 
     I played Polleke's Blue Room, which cost me 45 minutes to escape the room. After playing the game, I found that game can rise great interest in learning. I think I will apply the gamification into my future teaching. The language learning objectives would be to  encourage my students to exercise more effectively and improve their overall health and to make education more engaging. I think students will be actively involved because the attractive video scene and students are awarded varying numbers of points for activities they perform in their workouts and gain levels based on points collected. Moreover, students will love getting ahead of others and then stop to help their classmates to show off their learning competence. I think the role of the teacher would be designing proper games according to their students' language level and make proper instructions to attract students' attention. Moreover, teachers need to do assessment through games. I will use a walk through for the game. I will write several steps and hints which are relative to how to escape the room. Through the walk trough, students will notice some important vocabularies they need to learn and those vocabularies will be showed by playing the game. I will use images from the game. I will choose some attractive and funny images to put to the game. Moreover, I may print these images and put them in the classroom with vocabularies, then students can learn everywhere. After the game, I will let students do vocabulary dictation to see how many words they can remember, and then I will adjust the difficulty of the game according to their performance.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get the chance to use such games and that that prove useful.

    ReplyDelete